Date: 5/9/18 4:30 pm
From: Janet Millenson <janet...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Pennyfield Lock, late afternoon
Immediately above Milepost 20 along the C&O Canal towpath there are
three tall dead trees (across the canal) a short distance apart. On top
of the first tree I saw an adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, on top of the
second tree stood a Great Egret, and on top of the third tree was a
Red-shouldered Hawk. At the south end of the watered impoundment a
little farther up, I was treated to the vocal stylings of a White-eyed
Vireo, along with the distinctly non-musical sounds of several more
egrets flying around. A Barred Owl called in the distance.

The best non-avian sighting was in the parking area: an adult fox
accompanied by seven (!) kits of varying sizes, one of whom was nursing.
A vulpine day-care group, or what?

Janet Millenson
Potomac, MD (Montgomery County)
<janet...>