Date: 5/9/18 3:39 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Dunes, Beach & Hedge Area Wed 5-9-18
Hello Bird People,

Running late again due to other stuff I had to do.
I though Montrose would not have easterly winds today (was supposed to
be S.W) & the rain was going to hold off until 10-11 a.m. But the
winds were S.E. & it rained like heck at a little after 7 a.m. & then
again at 8:15 a.m. Sometimes things don't go as planned!

Before the 1st rain there were Warblers to look at but it was so dark
& gloomy it was hard to see them very well. Same thing after the 1st
rain & the 2nd rain. But things became more clear later on.

I ended up with 15 Warbler species & others had at least 3 more if I
heard others correctly.
Shorebirds were here & gone. Kurtis H had Pectorals, Least &
Yellowlegs early but when I got there I had 1 Semipalmated Plover & 3
Least. Later I had 3 Semipalmated Plovers & 4 Least after the rains
were over. Then Krzys K had Dunlin & Sanderlings both of which were
gone when I looked later.
The only way you saw them all was if you just stayed by the beach.

Here are some Hedge Area Highlights

Warblers

Tennessee (1), Nashville (4), Yellow (3), Chestnut Sided (1), Magnolia
(6), Cape May (1-M & 1-F),
BLACK THROATED BLUE (1-M), Y.R. Myrtles (10-12), Palm (~18), Black
Throated Green (3),
Blackburnian (1-M), Redstart (5), Ovenbird (2), Northern Waterthrush
(1) & Common Yellowthroat (3).

There were several Least Flycatchers calling & at least 1 calling
Willow Flycatcher.
Sparrows were Savannah, Song, Lincoln's, White Throated & many White
Crowned which I looked through in vain for a Harris's. Swallows were
Rough Winged, Tree & Barn.
A big highlight was a pair of ORCHARD ORIOLES found 1st by Krzys K. So
thanks go to him & thanks also to Matthew C for finding the Cape May
Warblers before the 1st rain. And I guess thanks go to me as I found
the Black Throated Blue much to my surprise. Also a Cuckoo flew by but
I don't know which one.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Orchard Oriole male as I barely saw the female &
Runners-Up to the Black Throated Blue & the Cape May.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional