Date: 5/9/18 2:56 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Long-tailed Duck - Rio Balnco Lake
I decided to look for the Western Bluebirds that Tom McConnell had recently seen on 98 Road west of Rangely in Rio Blanco County. On the way I made a quick stop at Rio Blanco Lake. Only one bird initially seen on the lake - a Western/Clark’s Grebe. I got my scope out to see if I could tell which one. As I got the Western Grebe into focus, right next to it popped up an breeding plumage male Long-tailed Duck. I nearly knocked my scope over. A county bird I never expected to find in Rio Blanco county. Great bird in great early morning light.

On 98 Road, I had no luck with Western Bluebird but great luck with other western Colorado pinyon-juniper birds. I had 3 Gray Vireos, 2 Gray Flycatchers, 1 Bewick’s Wren, 8 Juniper Titmouse, 6 Rock Wren, 2 Say’s Phoebe, 2 Ash-throated Flycatchers, 1 Plumbeous Vireo, 4 Woodhouse’s Scrub Jays, 1 Black-throated Gray Warbler, 6 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, 5 Lark Sparrows, and 4 Chipping Sparrows.

I also tried my favorite Scott’s Oriole site but no luck YET. No luck with Cassin’s Kingbird either. (Maybe someday).

Checked for the Long-tailed Duck again on my way home. (Hoping to be able to get a photo.) Unfortunately it and the Franklin’s Gull were gone.

Vic Zerbi

Join us on Facebook!