Date: 5/9/18 1:36 pm
From: Christian Martin <cmartin...>
Subject: [NHBirds] RE: Tragedy for Haverhill Peregrine Falcons
Well said, Steve. And just for context, NH Audubon has collaborated with NH Fish & Game and other partners to band 51 out of 51 (100%) of the peregrine fledglings from the downtown Manchester territory in 17 consecutive successful nesting seasons since 2001 (not counting this Spring's young). Over the years we have documented encounters with 25 (11 dead and 14 alive) of those banded fledglings ... nearly 50%. Manchester-raised peregrine chicks have shown up in 6 northeastern states (ME, NH, MA, CT, RI, and NY).

It's really a shame when any wild raptor dies from a gunshot, and there's no excuse for it. Like robins and killdeers and all other migratory birds, peregrines are covered under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Attempts to dilute this law, now being considered in Washington, DC, could further weaken protection for birds. Obviously, birds have enough threats to deal with without legal threats being added to the list.

OK, end of soapbox speech.

- Chris

Chris Martin
Senior Biologist, NH Audubon
<cmartin...>

84 Silk Farm Road, Concord, NH 03301
603/224-9909, x317 (office)
603/226-0902 (fax)

www.nhaudubon.org

New Hampshire Audubon – Protecting New Hampshire’s natural environment for wildlife and for people.