Date: 5/9/18 11:54 am
From: Chris Kubiak <ckubiak...>
Subject: Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve, 5-9 (Allegheny County)
All,

Had a great walk this morning at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve on our free,
weekly bird and nature hike. The weather was absolutely perfect, many of the
trees where in bloom-from the apples to dogwoods-so a great morning to be at
Beechwood.

Starting at 9 AM this morning we had 11 species of warblers, the highlights
being good looks at adult male Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian
Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-throated Green
Warbler, and Chestnut-sided Warbler. Other warblers heard but not observed
visually were Nashville Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Black
and White, and Magnolia Warbler.

Most of these birds were found on Violet and Spring Hollow trails.

Other notable species we saw included several stunning looks at two
different Scarlet Tanager males, Broad-winged Hawk (2), Ruby-throated
Hummingbird (several, one perched on a dead snag on Goldenrod Trails), one
very cooperative Wood Thrush, and heard several Grey Catbirds, Baltimore
Oriole, Indigo Buntings, and a loudly calling Pileated Woodpecker. Plus all
of the usual suspects-Towhees, Phoebes, Flicker, et al.

Chris Kubiak| Director of Education

Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania

614 Dorseyville Road, Pittsburgh PA 15238

412-963-6100 ext. 12 | aswp.org

Connecting People to Birds and Nature Since 1916!

Join us on Facebook!