Date: 5/9/18 11:27 am
From: M Gonzalez <towhee...>
Subject: [COBOL] Hatfield -- Wednesday morning
Greetings COBOLers,

Swapped a lunch-hour walk for a breakfast walk this morning. Ran into Jack S. at the first pond at Hatfield. Water levels dropping in first pond and beginning to create an edge for shorebirds. Back pond filling and almost to the bulrush and cattails.

I found 53 species with several first of years for me today, including lots of empids: an early-ish Willow Flycatcher 1(FOY), Dusky Flycatcher 1 (probably more), Ash-throated Flycatcher 1(FOY), and Gray Flycatcher 1.

Larids: Black Tern (FOY) and Ring-billed Gull at back pond.

Warblers: Com Yellowthroat 1, Yellow-rumped 10, Townsend's 1, MacGillivray's 1

Shorebirds: Killdeer 10+, Long-billed Dowitcher 4 (FOY, front pond), Wilson's Phalarope 12 (FOY, front pond), Spotted Sandpiper 20 (undercount, they were everywhere! FOY)

Warbling Vireo 1 (FOY)

Western Tanager 4 (FOY)

Waterfowl and sparrow diversity and numbers overall down.

Good birding,

Mark

--
Mark Gonzalez