Date: 5/9/18 8:24 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Tragedy for Haverhill Peregrine Falcons
As hard as it is to believe, people still shoot hawks.  And sadly, this
time it is one of "mine".  The male of the Haverhill Peregrine Falcons
"72/AB" was shot and killed in Salem, NH on Saturday.  It was reported
by the Salem, NH police department on their Facebook page and and on the
WMUR television web site:

https://www.facebook.com/SalemNHPolice/?hc_ref=ARQUDpa86lrEDFeKd5Gqh16zOAdCJXkp4tMguOcc6pY1AModKGk4WpwSUT13XYbtPsc&fref=nf

http://www.wmur.com/article/federally-protected-peregrine-falcon-shot-and-killed-in-salem-police-say/20631208

"72/AB" was 6 years old this May.  He was born on the Brady-Sullivan
building in Manchester, NH in 2012 and finally settled on Haverhill as a
place to live and raise his families.  He raised at least 2 broods in
Haverhill.  Jane and I were excited first ID him in Haverhill in
December 2014 and were proud to find the first nest site for Haverhill
during 2015 on the ledge of a dentist office building downtown.  That
year, he raised two youngsters.  In 2016 he returned, but decided to
nest at a different location.  Jane and I spent a long morning searching
before finding the nest under the Basiliere Bridge over the Merrimack
River in Haverhill.  That year he fledged 3 or 4 youngsters.  Some
memorable photos from his life including his birth and death:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjTCEs1D

Our thoughts go out to the female and we hope she finds another male to
share her Haverhill home with.

Rest in peace "72/AB".

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA