Date: 5/9/18 6:57 am
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Warblers!!
Yesterday morning got off to a slow start with rain but as it stopped there
was a male Blackburnian working the trunk of the hackberry tree next to the
garage. In half an hour down by the river I tallied 13 warbler species.
Spotted thrushes were everywhere. Joe joined me after lunch at
Thunderbridge area and my Ovenbird total for the day hit 16 as they popped
up repeatedly from the wooded floodplain! We went to Huston Park at Lost
Island Lake and found two groups of birds out of the wind as we were.
Blue-winged Warbler was a highlight but several male Magnolias and one male
Mourning Warbler came so close we had to focus on them without binoculars!
At suppertime my warbler list stood at 19 with Palm Warbler and
Chestnut-sided the best remaining possibilities. I went to Hawk Valley
where a Palm Warbler should be and walked two miles along the open flood
plain with lots of Northern Waterthrush but no Palm....until I got back to
the parking lot where two were waiting for me! The warbler force was with
me yesterday!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer