Date: 5/9/18 5:16 am
From: Cabe, Paul via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Red Crossbills in the Blue Ridge
Yesterday (8 May) I observed a group of three Red Crossbills at Skylark Farm, a private property along the Blue Ridge Parkway at the crest of the Blue Ridge in extreme western Nelson County. The area is just a few miles north of the where Rt 56 (Tye River Parkway) crosses the parkway.

Although there were three, I only observed two of them closely. One was an adult female and the other a heavily-streaked juvenile plumage bird. This plumage implies that this bird hatched sometime earlier this spring. Although this species is known to breed in the Alleghenies, there are few records from the Blue Ridge, so worth looking out for if you find yourself in that area.

Paul R. Cabe, PhD
Professor of Biology
Washington & Lee University