Date: 5/8/18 10:46 pm
From: Michael Zerr <zerrmick...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] birdy week
Very busy week for migrants. Thanks to Terry Sol's sharing, yesterday I
checked the wetlands around Worthing SD, south of Sioux Falls. South of the
town, the radio tower marshes had little to offer, but north of Worthing,
(1 mile north), the birds were found. FOY Upland Sandpiper (3) along the
road and the Hugo land along Lincoln Co. #had a nice flock of 50 A. Golden
Plovers, and a half mile west, a field had Least Sandpipers, Solitary SP,
etc. and L. Yellowlegs, 20 Forster's Terns sitting with about 30 Short
Billed Dowitchers and a Semipalmated Plover, plus Wilson's Phalarope. On to
the Pet Cemetery marshes where Many Yellow-headed Blackbirds were sitting a
few feet from the road, along with Coot, Redheads, Wood Ducks, and L. Scaup
plus FOY Western Kingbird. The male Redheads were doing neck stretching
and making strange sounds to impress the females.(see the video
<https://flic.kr/p/26UvYEG>)
Today, thanks to Chris Anderson's sharing, Doug Chapman (fresh back from
Romania), and I found most of Chris's reported warblers at Elmwood Park in
SF.
Upon arriving home, I hoped to find some warblers in my yard, and did find
a Tennessee along with a small flycatcher species plus the two Pine Siskins
that have been around for months. An hour later, three FOY Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks arrived. A few minutes later, a pair of Baltimore Orioles
arrived, promptly finding the grape jelly feeder.Our neighborhood has a
large cottonwood that the Orioles have nested in for at least 3 years, and
I wondered if this couple were the same ones. Thinking about the great
distance from N. South America and many dangers two small birds would face,
the odds of two making it for 4 or more years in a row were small, but they
both shot up to the nesting tree and stayed there. If only they could
talk!
As I looked back at the feeders, a Red-winged Blackbird male took off after
one of the 5 Brown-headed Cowbirds that were feeding on the ground. He
chased him all around and was never more that a foot away from him. The
Red-wings know what Cowbirds are up to!
But, looking back at the feeders after this fun chase, the frosting on
the cake was waiting. Not only was it a FOY, but a first for the new yard
(3 years at this new western SF location). A beautiful first year male
Indigo Bunting was eating away at a feeder. I am now over 90 species for
the yard on my way to the goal of 100. I can't wait to see what will come
in tomorrow! Some photos here <https://flic.kr/p/26UvYEG>. (including map
of north Worthing area)

Mick
SFBC