Date: 5/8/18 10:36 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] Bend and Redmond birds of the season
Shevlin - area around Aspen Hall with Calliope Hummer yesterday, feeding
on blossoms of wax currant. Lewis's going into cavities. Lewis's are
busy near the parking lot as they were last year. Fun for the public to
see a Lewis's for the first time.

Redmond ponds - Lesser Yellowlegs today, and 20 LB Dowitchers, 1 bright
male Canvasback, other waterfowl basically the same. Someone with more
patience and skill might find a SB Dowitcher amongst the LBs. There was
one bright bird with a paler belly and no white in scapulars but they
didn't call and I wasn't sure.

Most intriguing today, 3 birds flew toward my position at Redmond pond,
then did a 360 and continued north, flying together and high. They were
pigeons, and I have to ID them as Band-tailed Pigeons based on flight
giss, long rectangular tail, proportion of tail to wing, body shape,
etc. No photos so I didn't put it on ebird or name it in the post title.
Perhaps it means migrant BT Pigeons are still coming through so look up
once in a while.
Only the 3rd time I recall seeing them in Deschutes county in my 100 or
so years of birding.

Rarest sighting today, a Kim Kathol birding out there. Cool!
Go birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>