Date: 5/8/18 7:16 pm
From: G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
Subject: HV County
I took off two days from work after the weekend to bird Harvey County.
West Park was pretty good with a 3 mile walk on the road circling the
park. Best birds were Summer Tanagers in the SE corner area (4 birds) but
most of what was expected was present. I did not see (or call) the
Pileated Woodpeckers out of respect for nesting season. Halstead's
Riverside Park proved pretty good for the regular seasonal arrivals.
Nothing stood out. Same with the Dyck Arboretum in Hesston. I ended
Monday with a Northern Bobwhite walking down my alley in the middle of
Newton; very very odd.

Today I birded the Osage Nature Trail in the eastern part of the county.
Zero warblers to speak of and a pathetic list They really need to burn
that prairie as it is out of control with trees.. East Lake had Least
Sandpipers, 2 Willets and a hand full of Spotted Sandpipers. The Walton
Cemetery was slow as usual but better than most days with Lark, Chipping
and a lone Clay-colored Sparrow. A flock of Cedar Waxwings ended the trip
there. The great spot of the day was West Lake south of Burrton. Stilt,
White-rumped, Least, Semipalmated, Sandpipers along with :Lesser Yellowlegs
and 4 Hudsonian Godwits along with Killdeer and a lone Semipalmated
Plover. A flock of Willets landed halfway through out stay there. Two
Bell's Vireos were calling from scrub stuff and a bunch of Yellow Warblers
worked the willows.

Gregg

--
Gregg & Joanna Fenton Friesen