Date: 5/8/18 5:59 pm
From: Dave Tracy <davidctracy...>
Subject: [COBOL] ECAS Birding By Ear Tuesday May 8th
Another really nice Tuesday to be out for a walk with the BBE group.  We had 16 of us make the walk this morning under mostly to partly sunny skies.  Big surprise seeing the Emperor Goose splash down right in front of us, west side of the river upstream from the footbridge.  Great looks and we got to hear it call too.

Missed detecting any flycatcher and we were hoping for Western Tanager, but lots of activity and some new birds for the year made for an enjoyable walk.

Here's the list:

Sawyer Park, Deschutes, Oregon, US
May 8, 2018 8:00 AM - 9:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:    ECAS Birding By Ear group
42 species (+1 other taxa)

Emperor Goose  1    Presumably the same bird that has been seen around Bend for the past several months. Pictures taken also heard it call as it landed in the company of a Canada Goose
Canada Goose  25    Includes a couple small broods of goslings
Mallard  20
California Quail  5
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Accipiter sp.  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  4
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove  15
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Warbling Vireo  1    First of the Season for BBE group
Steller's Jay  6
California Scrub-Jay  3
Common Raven  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  5
Tree Swallow  20
Violet-green Swallow  30
Mountain Chickadee  7
Bushtit  5
Pygmy Nuthatch  18
House Wren  5
American Robin  20
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  50
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
MacGillivray's Warbler  1    First of the Season for BBE group
Yellow Warbler  3    First of the Season for BBE group
Yellow-rumped Warbler  15    Including 1 Myrtle
Wilson's Warbler  20
Golden-crowned Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  5
Black-headed Grosbeak  4 First of the Season for BBE group
Red-winged Blackbird  35
Brown-headed Cowbird  10
House Finch  20
Red Crossbill  1    Type 2  First of the Season for BBE, seen & heard on my walk through the park just after the group started leaving
Pine Siskin  1
Lesser Goldfinch  15
House Sparrow  8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45470629