Date: 5/8/18 2:10 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road Tuesday 5-8-18
Hello Bird People,

It still seems strange to not be chasing the rare bird after 30 years
if doing nothing else but chase rare birds. Got a Cattle Egret at
South Pond! That's nice, maybe I'll see it tomorrow & maybe I won't.
It doesn't really matter. I must admit that it took a little getting
used to but I'm getting used to it. I still look for good birds but I
now pick & choose. I saw the Varied Thrush & the Cinnamon Teal & I did
try for the White Faced Ibis & the Lark Sparrow but failed on them. I
just take what I get at wherever I decide to go. Fran Morrel was
right, easy does it. And today I decided to do Skokie Lagoons.

Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road (7-11 a.m.)

Thought it would be a good Warbler day after getting 8 species in the
1st 20 min along the picnic shelter lagoon but then it ended & in the
next 2 1/2 hours I only added 2 more species. Not sure what happened?

D.C.Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Great Blue Heron (4)
Canada Geese (8)
Wood Duck (2)
Mallard (3)
Cooper's Hawk (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Red Bellied (4),& Downy (3) Woodpeckers
Flicker (5)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-2)
Tree Swallow (10)
Blue Jay (6)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
House Wren (H-4)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (4)
Eastern Bluebird (1-M)
Swainson's Thrush (8)
WOOD THRUSH (1, singing, finally saw it)
Robins (~30)
Gray Catbird (4)
Starling (2, parking lot)
YELLOW THROATED VIREO (1 & H-1, FOY)
Warbling Vireo (4)
Nashville Warbler (4)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (9)
Palm Warbler (12)
BAY BREASTED WARBLER (1-M)
Redstart (1-M)
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER (2)
Ovenbird (1)
Northern Waterthrush (4)
Common Yellowthroat (2-M)
Cardinal (4)
INDIGO BUNTING (1-M, FOY)
Song Sparrow (2)
White Crowned Sparrow (10)
White Throated Sparrow (3)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Goldfinch (6)

After lunch I made a short visit to Potawatomi Woods by the Des
Plaines River in Wheeling but it was pretty slow with the only
Warblers being Nashville (1), Magnolia (1) & Palm (2). Had another
Indigo Bunting & was surprised to hear a Sandhill Crane flying by
while calling.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the male Bay Breasted Warbler &
Runners-Up to the Prothonotary Warbler & the Yellow Throated Vireo.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: