Date: 5/8/18 12:51 pm
From: Rexanne Bruno via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] VSO Annual Meeting in Harrisonburg, May 18-20, 2018
The Second Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas is in its third of five years this spring. Some local atlasers have been busy lately in the Harrisonburg and Rockingham County area. They have confirmed breeding for these species: witnessing nest building by a Sharp-shinned Hawk in the national forest; discovering a Barn Owl nest with eggs; and seeing a Red-tailed Hawk on a nest. They also detected probable breeding evidence for these species: a Yellow-rumped Warbler engaged in territorial activity; a potential nest site of a Black-capped Chickadee near Briery Branch; territorial defense by a Common Raven; and a drumming Ruffed Grouse in the Cows Knob priority block.

On several of the Virginia Society of Ornithology Annual Meeting (May 18-20, 2018) field trips we will be concentrating our efforts on atlasing (looking for breeding activity) as we bird. We are anxious to see how many other species’ breeding can be confirmed on these atlasing field trips. Please join us at the VSO Annual Meeting so you can help us atlas. You do not need to be an experienced atlaser as field trip leaders will be and will share their techniques with you.

A quick check of eBird reports in the Harrisonburg area revealed that these warblers were recently seen at Bother Knob: Nashville, Cape May, Chestnut-sided, Bay-breasted, and Blackburnian. Are any of these life birds for you? Then you’ll want to go on the Shenandoah Mountain - Bother Knob and Reddish Knob field trip to try for a life bird. Blue-winged and Black-throated Green Warblers plus Black-billed Cuckoo are also being reported in the area; you might see one of these on the Switzer Dam, Skyline Drive, or Harrisonburg City field trips.

Time is running out, register now to join us at the Virginia Society of Ornithology Annual Meeting, May 18-20, 2018. Find out more and register at http://www.virginiabirds.org/events/annual-meeting/2018-opening-announcement <http://www.virginiabirds.org/events/annual-meeting/2018-opening-announcement>. One more reason to register soon - boxed lunches for Saturday, May 19, must be ordered by Thursday, May 10.

Learn more about the Second Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas at http://amjv.org/index.php/vabba2/ <http://amjv.org/index.php/vabba2/>.

Rexanne Bruno

VSO Annual Meeting Committee Chair