Date: 5/8/18 10:34 am
From: Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Battle for the Birdhouse!
Good afternoon,

Despite my desire to do so, I have been unable to get to any of the
hotspots for spring migration buuuuut things have been heating up in my
yard over the last few days.

A while back, I signed up with Peter Trull to have him build me a bluebird
house in hopes of enticing a pair to spend at least part of the summer in
my yard (bluebirds nest across the street and I've been pretty envious over
the last few years). Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, house sparrows
seem to have scared them off. I was successful in eliminating that issue
just in time for house wrens to arrive in our neighborhood and thought they
would set up shop but, to my pleasant surprise, a pair of tree swallows has
been doing battle with the house wrens and, just this morning, I witnessed
the pair carrying nest material into the box. I am hopeful they will be
successful.

A question, how much disturbance will the tree swallows tolerate? I will
probably have to mow my lawn around their nest pole, eventually.

Other sightings from the past few days include:

Orchard oriole (1st year male)
Cape May Warbler (singing male)
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
American Redstart
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Many Baltimore Orioles (I got a pic of five at once on my feeder)

Happy Birding!
Paul Guidetti
Westford, MA

Join us on Facebook!