Date: 5/8/18 8:13 am
From: Jeff Virant <rainbow...>
Subject: [wisb] Cooper's Hawk Attack, Polk County
Hi all,
I just wanted to report that while walking across our large yard yesterday, I was caught off guard by the abrupt approach/dive of a Cooper's Hawk about 20 feet in front of me where it snatched a small bird in the grass (unknown type, possibly sparrow) and flew away with its prey squeaking and struggling all the way. From the small victim bird’s perspective, I can’t imagine living my life just to become a “necessary” step in the food chain for a Cooper’s Hawk.
It is nevertheless the "way of the world”.

Best birding,

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI, Polk County
<rainbow...>