Date: 5/8/18 3:04 am
From: Tamima Itani <tamimaitani...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET link to article on NU and bird collisions with their buildings
I echo Fran’s comments. To give folks a sense of the scale of the issue, we had over 75 dead birds at NU last week alone, and close to that number in injured birds, including birds like a Sora and a whip-poor-will, not to mention scores of warblers and thrushes. And while NU has retrofitted the Searle building, they have been very slow at retrofitting the monstrous Kellogg Hub, which is killing birds by the dozens. Last, we don’t even have data yet on the new Sports pavilion that sits right on the lake, is all glass and remains lit all night.

Tamima

On May 7, 2018, at 3:29 PM, Fran M <franmmmk...><mailto:<franmmmk...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...><mailto:<ILbirds-noreply...>> wrote:

Personally, I’m not buying this NU stuff. NU spends a few thousand to quiet the critics, but when you build millions (billions ?) of dollars worth of buildings right on top of the lake, what do you expect? I’m thankful Evanston and Chicago protected the lakefront for people and wildlife to enjoy. NU has a different agenda, and don’t let them fool you. It’s not about recreation and wildlife.

Fran Morel

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Suzanne Coleman <isooz...><mailto:<isooz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...><mailto:<ILbirds-noreply...>> wrote:

I haven't read the link yet but it's from American Bird Conservancy's e-mail today:

Northwestern University Takes Action to Make Buildings Bird-Friendly<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fabcbirds.org%2Farticle%2Fnorthwestern-university-takes-action-to-make-buildings-bird-friendly%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb49cf24c8ee448a61be308d5b45931a5%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636613217527495759&sdata=RC0iqlMxAaIEKf0tPv42%2FHtQvpQ4W4Usae0BFpWxUDE%3D&reserved=0>

Working with the local community and experts from American Bird Conservancy, Northwestern University is using state-of-the-art solutions to keep birds from dying in collisions with glass walls and windows. The measures put Northwestern in the vanguard of a growing movement among U.S. colleges and universities to implement practical and effective ways to avoid collisions which kill up to 1 billion birds a year in the U.S. alone.

Suzanne Coleman
cook co.

Join us on Facebook!