Date: 5/7/18 7:41 pm
From: Eric <elabato...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Willet with geolocator - Plum Island
This morning I tried taking photos of the Willets on the side of the Dike at the North Pool Overlook on Parker River Refuge. When I looked at the photos I noticed one of the Willets had an orange band on each leg and the band on left leg had an object attached to it that I assume is a geolocator. I did some quick research and learned that the Biodiversity Research Institute has been tracking Willet migration by putting geolocators on birds at Parker River and Rachel Carson Refuges. They will have to recapture the bird I saw this morning to recover the geolocator and find out where it has been.

Here is a link to a photo of the Willet with the geolocator:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95367895@N00/28093635118/in/dateposted/

Here is a close-up of the geolocator:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95367895@N00/41245904264/in/dateposted/

Here is the article I found about the program that tracks Willet migration. It has interesting maps that show the migration routes the Willets have used.

http://www.briloon.org/our-science-services/research-centers/center-for-ecology-and-conservation-research-2/center-for-ecology-overview-page/wetlands-program/wetlands-program-index-page/tracking-eastern-willets

Eric Labato
Malden, MA
<elabato...>

Join us on Facebook!