Date: 5/7/18 5:22 pm
From: Bill Eley <beley8...>
Subject: [cobirds] Belmar Oriole
Apparently there is discussion about a Baltimore/Bullock's Oriole seen
yesterday at Belmar by Frank Farrell (and probably others) concerning
whether the bird might be a hybrid. I looked at Franks's photos and
honestly wasn't sure if it looked like a true hybrid or not (especially
considering the amount of variation Oriole hybrids can have). I sent the
photo to Van Remsen, who I'm sure a lot of you know. Here was his response:

"Bill — that big white blaze in wing is not found in pure BAOR but looks
more like Bullock’s, so I would definitely go with hybrid

Dr. J. V. Remsen

Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds

Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences

LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803

najames<at>LSU.edu <http://lsu.edu/>"