Date: 5/7/18 5:19 pm
From: Sean S <therefromhere168...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Brown Thrasher at Portland Head Light
It's that brief time of year when Brown Thrashers are conspicuous and
fairly approachable, as the one I saw at Portland Head Light about an hour
ago. It was perched in the top of a tree (downhill toward the ocean from
the flagpole) and performing its R2D2-ish renditions of Robin, Red-bellied
Woopecker, Catbird and Towhee calls (among others), with most of the calls
grouped in pairs. The paired calls are usually a good indicator. Last
spring I came across 3 individuals on the ground by the large ruined fort
that's off to the right driving into the park, so this may be a good
location for anyone who's looking to add them to their list.

Sean Smith