Date: 5/7/18 3:23 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] LOCAL RBA: GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE. Sage Grouse Millican Valley, Pumice Springs a
First a reminder, Tick Season is probably in full swing. Check
yourselves after being in the brush and grasses.

Our extra "Wednesday" birding trip went today for Sage Grouse. Dismay
was the word of the morning as a blanket of fog covered the valley
including the lek area but eventually we could see 4 birds displaying,
more fog arrived and then 2 birds visible for a while. Viewing them was
great, but no match for the SEVEN of them, all males, nibbling on sage
tips along the roadside several miles away. We watched them for a while
from the car and enjoyed seeing the plumes, the detail on the feathers
of the back and tail etc. Near there, we slowed for flocks of
blackbirds, Horned Larks etc and had a glimpse of a Grackle. We birded a
bit hoping for another look and finally, a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE appeared
from same area, landed briefly on a building and then flew off to the
north, higher and higher, and out of sight. Probably can't be chased.
Probably in Alfalfa by now.

This a.m. many birds were singing, Sage Thrashers dominating. Coopers
Hawk at Pumice Springs is perhaps making birds more flighty, but it sure
is a good spot to study Red Crossbills, Cassin's Finches, Bluebirds,
etc. Thanks to Courtney for ebirding today.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Sage Grouse - 4 at the lek, 7 on roadside in sage, feeding, all males
Turkey Vulture
Osprey - 2 along Hwy 20 assoc w nests
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove - outnumber EUCD out there!
Lewis' Woodpecker - 4 or more
Williamson's Sapsucker - in small lodgepoles on the way to Pumice Sprg
Northern Flicker
Gray Flycatcher
Say's Phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike - 2
Pinyon Jay - many birds, up to 6 in a group, mostly singles, 2s, etc
Clark's Nutcracker - 6 or 8 Pumice Springs
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch - prob heard
Western Bluebird
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
Green-tailed Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow
Sagebrush Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Western Meadowlark
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Cassin's Finch
House Finch
Red Crossbill

Total number of species seen: 48
If I missed some birds, Courtney will have them on her ebird list. She
tipped us off to Black-throated Gray etc with her good ears. Birders:
Tom Penpraze, Courtney Jett, David Vick, Mike Golden, Judy. Lovely time
in the desert once the sunshine was dominant! Good birding, Judy,
<jmeredit...>