Date: 5/7/18 2:31 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET LaBagh Woods & Techny North Monday 5-7-18
Hello Bird People,

Old Business-Correction

I fear I was a little sloppy when I reported 2 Long Billed Dowitchers
from Techny North yesterday.
I am fairly sure that the one Dowitcher I worked hard on was indeed a
Long Billed but I had no business saying that there were 2 when I did
not try very hard to I.D. the 2nd. In fact as the 2nd was smaller
overall & others had reported Short Billed on the Count day it may
well not have been a Long Billed. But if it was or wasn't what I
should have done was to say that there was 1 Long Billed & 1
Dowitcher Species? I was pressed for time & so didn't give the 2nd
Dowitcher it's due. Don't make assumptions & don't think you have to
I.D. everything when you don't have the time to do so properly. Sorry
about that!

New Business

LaBagh Woods (7:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)

That's right, I was here for 5 hours & I can hardly walk after all
that. It was slow going at 1st but I stayed with it & it became a
"grind it out" day. I finally ended up with 14 Warbler species & a few
were good ones but what a lot of effort. Here's my list:

Great Blue Heron (2)
Green Heron (1)
Canada Geese (4)
Wood Duck (6)
Mallard (5)
B.W. Teal (3)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-IM)
Solitary Sandpiper (2, by the woodland pond)
Spotted Sandpiper (1, along the stream)
AMERICAN WOODCOCK (1) (Quite a surprise as it was probing on a mud
flat in mid-stream where of course I didn't see it until it squawked &
flew to the far bank)
Caspian Tern (1, hunting the woodland pond)
Mourning Dove (2)
Kingfisher (1, also hunting the woodland pond)
Red Bellied (4), Downy (4) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers
Flicker (heard 2)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-2)
Blue Jay (4)
Chickadee (H-2)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-4)
Brown Creeper (1)
House Wren (4-5)
R.C. Kinglet (22, the most common woodland bird)
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher (3)
Veery (1)
Gray Cheeked Thrush (1)
Swainson's Thrush (8)
Robins (~35)
Gray Catbird (3)
BLUE HEADED VIREO (1)
Nashville Warbler (3)
NORTHERN PARULA (3)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Chestnut Sided Warbler (1)
Magnolia Warbler (1)
BLACK THROATED BLUE WARBLER (1-M, very close & very nice!)(I was
talking to Linda K by the bridge when the Warbler landed about 10 feet
away)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (about 10)
Black Throated Green Warbler (3)
Palm Warbler (15)
Black & White Warbler (3)
Redstart (2-M)
Northern Waterthrush (1, wished it was the other Waterthrush)
MOURNING WARBLER (1-M, saw the black on the throat very well)
Common Yellowthroat (2-M)
Cardinal (3)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-M, singing, hard to find but I did)
Eastern Towhee (1-M)
Chipping Sparrow (2, lawns)
CLAY COLORED SPARROW (1, with the Chipping Sparrows)
Lincoln's Sparrow (2)
White Crowned Sparrow (2)
White Throated Sparrow (8)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (3)
Goldfinch (8)
House Sparrow (2, by the baseball field)

Techny North

Went back to try & do a better job on the Dowitchers but both had departed.
Shorebirds remaining were Killdeer (4), Greater (6) & Lesser (12) Yellowlegs,
Solitary (6) & Spotted (8) Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpiper (2), Least (4) &
Semipalmated (2) Sandpipers plus 6 Peeps species unknown?

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Black Throated Blue &
Runners-Up to the Mourning Warbler & the Woodcock.

Al Stokie
Back in Cook County after 2 days in Lake County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: