Date: 5/7/18 1:55 pm
From: melius <mmelius...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Poorwill in Rapid City; Lark Bunting note
At noon today I was birding along Rapid Creek and had a Common
Poorwill fly out of some trees right next to me. It flew across the
creek and landed in the grass. I went to that side and looked for it,
but didn't see it until it flew back across the creek. While I sat
looking for it someone came walking along the sidewalk and the bird
flew again. I did not try to re- locate the bird, having had three
good looks as it flew. The site was within about 50 yard of the bridge
on East Main at Brennan St., downstream from the bridge. I think the
bird was still there when I left.
On the way home, I found several Lark Buntings long roads in
Pennington & Custer Cos. This may be the most punctual first of year
bird I know of, going back to my first year here, 1982, when 8 May was
the FOY date.
Michael Melius
Folsom

Join us on Facebook!