Date: 5/7/18 12:29 pm
From: Rhetta Jack <lotorwin4me...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Spring count Northern Montgomery County
What a day! Got up at 2:30am to get down there early. Paid off with 2
Whippoorwills and 2 Screech Owls. It was pretty chilly the early part of
the day. Later was looking for Golden Plovers on the ground, as we saw lots
of airborne flocks. Found a weedy cornstalk field (why it was there is a
mystery). Full of Plovers, Dickcissels, and the shock of the day, 5 Smith's
Longspurs, 4 were males in near high breeding plumage, best look I ever had
of them. Then we lucked out at the Water treatment Plant with with a total
of 11 shorebird species. Warblers mostly Palm and male Yellow Rumps-but
also Yellow, Black and White, Black Throated Green, Prothonotary, Hooded,
Kentucky, Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, and Parula. Saw 5 Red headed
Woodpeckers and 2 Pileated. Then it became sickly hot in the afternoon and
many birds shut up. We dipped on Kestrel, Nighthawk, Eurasian Tree Sparrow
and Bobolink. Sadly our Purple Martin spots are no more, one property
sold-Martin house gone, the other property sold-with new house, new bass
lake and pond has been drained. We will have to search for another one. We
ended up with 104 species.
Rhetta Jack, Springfield, IL

Join us on Facebook!