Date: 5/7/18 11:52 am
From: Doug Ward <dougward...>
Subject: [cobirds] Probable Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - SW Denver
While diligently working away at my "desk" (aka dining room table) this morning (Mon., 7 May 18), noticed a small, active Empinonax in a maple just outside our window in southwest Denver near Huston Park (Denver Co., CO).  Initial naked eye impression was a Cordilleran due to its general greenish coloration and obvious eye ring and wingbars.  However, once I grabbed my binoculars for unfortunately a very brief and obscured view, noticed it's "jizz"  was closer to a Least with its large round head and short bill, though tail and wings seemed longer than this species when it flew.  This bird had a bold, complete round eyering which was yellowish white, greenish-grey head and at least pale yellow underneath.  Unfortunately the back, wings, belly, and undertail coverts were never seen well.  I don't have a ton of experience with this species, but came to the conclusion it was very likely a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER. I did give chase, but have yet to refind it definitively.  After about twenty minutes did find two (2) Empids in a neighbor's maple, one of which was likely this bird, but again too brief a view and lost it.  To add to this excitement, the other Empidonax in the tree appeared to be a GRAY FLYCATCHER - makes no sense at all that these two would be together.
Anyway, it's that time of the year, so about anything can show as demonstrated in this weekends posts.  I will keep the group posted if this flycatcher shows back up.  If you'd like specifics on location, please contact me separately.
Good Birding,Doug