Date: 5/7/18 6:40 am
From: Thomas Pirro <tpirro2010...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 5/6 Loon Fallout Wachusett Reservior
Yesterday 5/26 there was a significant fallout of Common Loons on the
Wachusett Reservior with a minimum of 156 individuals. I first noted few
good size rafts from gate 40 but I headed to gate 36 for a better vantage
point. From gate 36 I counted 112, mainly in 3 rafts, with a scattering of
individuals on the fridges. All these birds were east of "the narrows".
Driving directly to causeway area on RTE 12 (gate 28) I counted an other
44, all well west of the "narrows". All but a very few,3 or 4 birds, were
in breeding plumage. I did not have the time to check South bay nor Scar
Hill Bluffs.

No grebes, scoters or Oldsquaw.

Also was a Common Tern perched on a bouy seen from gate 40 and 36.

Tom Pirro
<tpirro2010...>

Join us on Facebook!