Date: 5/7/18 6:39 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Masonville 05/04/2018
Masonville was excellent on Friday. It took me seven hours to complete my
census - I think that's a record.

The best bird was not found by me. Tina Snyder (Masonville nestbox monitor)
found an immature male SUMMER TANAGER in Access Zone 2. I drove over and
relocated it in the cluster of trees along the "claw." It sang and called
repeatedly and moved around quite a bit in Access Zone 2. This was a first
record for the site.

There was a huge push of Gray Catbirds, Common Yellowthroats,
White-throated Sparrows, and Swamp Sparrows. I also had four Lincoln's
Sparrows and six Northern Waterthrushes, which seemed high.

Blue-winged Teal, Sora, Swainson's Thrush, Prairie Warbler, and
White-crowned Sparrow are not often seen onsite, but all were observed on
Friday. There were lots of other warblers, which should only increase in
numbers and diversity as the vegetation matures at the site.

The Common Terns were back on the offshore barge.

In the morning, there were three Semipalmated Plovers on the mudflat by
Captain Trash Wheel. They dispersed when the tide came in and inundated the
mudflat.

Lingering waterfowl included Gadwall, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead,
Red-breasted Merganser, and Ruddy Duck. There was also a late Dark-eyed
Junco at the Education Center.

eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45255473

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD