Date: 5/7/18 5:02 am
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Raven Loonatics Birdathon
The Raven Loonatics (Gerco Hoogeweg, Bruce Hill, and I) did the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy Birdathon yesterday. As a team, we ended up with 124 species including 24 warblers. There were many highlights. We heard an American Bittern at Bles Park in the dark. We then headed to Algonkian Park where we saw Bufflehead, Ruddy Ducks, Barred Owls, Eastern Wood-Pewee (heard), four vireos, Banks Swallows over the river, both orioles, and a flight of Bobolinks. There were also many warblers there including Prothonotary, Cape May, Black-throated Green, and a Northern Waterthrush. Bles Park was productive as we scored a Blackburnian Warbler, a Hooded Warbler and a Sora. A surprise Black-billed Cuckoo also made an appearance. Other notable birds included Bonaparte's Gulls at Beaverdam Resevoir, Bobolinks at many locations, a Kentucky Warbler and Gray-cheeked Thrush near Temple Hall Farm, Blue-winged Warblers a Worm-eating Warbler and an Acadian Flycatcher at Blue Ridge Center, and a Pi
ne Warbler at the entrance to Banshee Reeks. A stop at the Dulles Wetlands payed off with a Virginia Rail and a Marsh Wren. Shorebirds were scattered in different locations and included Solitary, Spotted and Least Sandpipers, plus a Greater Yellowlegs and Killdeer.

Larry Meade
Merrifield. Virginia