Date: 5/7/18 4:45 am
From: Dinsmore, James J <oldcoot...>
Subject: [ia-bird] crossbills
Birders

I have noted with interest several recent reports of Red Crossbills in Iowa. Although we think of this as a winter species, it has been found in Iowa a number of times in spring and summer and has been reported breeding in Iowa at least twice (April 1982 and July 1986, both in Des Moines). Those reports involved nest-building behavior and a pair feeding 4 young birds. It is possible that Red Crossbills will nest again in Iowa (or may have already) and birders should be alert to the possibility. If they are nesting, it would be great if birders could document that with photos, most likely of adults at a nest or with young birds. This is an extremely erratic, nomadic species and additional information on any nesting in Iowa would be of interest.

jim dinsmore

The Villages, FL