Date: 5/6/18 8:43 pm
From: Mark Rositol <mrositol510...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Large Bobolink Flocks at BARC PG County
I took a drive down Beaver Dam Rd in Beltsvill Md, which is one of the public roads at BARC (Beltsville Agricultural Research Center). Just figured I would try to tick the species for the year. I found them in the fields on the north side of Beaver Dam Rd between S. Dairy Rd and Sheep Rd. A Northern Harrier caused two separate flocks to fly up at the same time. I couldn't believe the numbers. I attempted to count one of the flocks by 10s, and was at 400 before they landed. I put in 500 on Ebird(In case I over-counted), but my guess is well over 1000. There were 2 flocks that were similar in size. It was wonderful to hear all the vocalizations.

The fields are government property, so you really can't pull off anywhere. Although I found a quick pull off spot. I went late Sunday afternoon when there wasn't much traffic. My advice would be not to drive through during rush hour. Also there were quite a few singing Eastern Meadowlarks.

M Rositol
Fort Washington, MD