Date: 5/6/18 8:38 pm
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Birds on a rainy day
Janet Keating and I decided to bird Rte 2 along the Ohio River this morning. We met at 7:10 A.M. and were looking for birds at Green Bottom WMA about 40 min later in a steady rain that plagued us until around 1 pm when we returned to Huntington. We didn’t find the Virginia Rail reported earlier in the week, but the Purple Gallinule was present in the second pond at Hoeft Marsh, and a Willow Flycatcher had arrived.

Next, we stopped at the Robert C. Byrd Locks & Dam where the highlight was seeing a Least Bittern at the large Goose Pond and an American Bittern on the smaller pond. There were also numerous Least, Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers in the flooded fields at the entrance and along the gravel road at the river.

Stopping at Shady Waters Campground produced a Warbling Vireo, while the flooded fields around Gallipolis Ferry yielded two Semipalmated Plovers and lots of swallows. On the way home, I stopped on German Ridge in Wayne Co. and found the Yellow-breasted Chat (FOY) that had been reported earlier. Some of the birds seen today are shown below.

GBWMA
Purple Gallinule 1
Willow Flycatcher 1 FOY
Gray Catbird