Date: 5/6/18 8:23 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, May 6, 2018
Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

May 6, 2018 6:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments: I birded with many friends along the way, going as far as the Pines Trail on this cloudy, drizzly morning. (No butterflies.) Rarest birds were the ongoing tri-colored heron, a late snowy owl, and a prothonotary warbler at Goodno crossing. I missed the rails heard earlier from the old blind at Hellcat.
58 species

Canada Goose 13
Mute Swan 1 adult on Bill Forward Pool (BFP)
Gadwall 1
Mallard 3
American Black Duck 5 main salt pan
Green-winged Teal 2
Wild Turkey 2
Common Loon 2 sitting on PI Sound near sub-hq and calling
Double-crested Cormorant 15
Great Egret 18
Tricolored Heron 1 Heron slightly bigger than SNEG in salt pan near road at north end of S-curves. Bluish-gray plumage with light-blue bill, white belly, white plumes on nape, and tannish feathers on lower rump. Legs drab. This bird has been seen and photo'd by scores of birders over the last several days.
Osprey 4 pairs at 2 nest platforms
Bald Eagle 1 adult in salt marsh, seen from sub-hq
Killdeer 5
Least Sandpiper 15
Greater Yellowlegs 13
Willet (Eastern) 55 One pair copulating in field next to sub-hq.
Lesser Yellowlegs 8
Herring Gull 17
Great Black-backed Gull 3
Mourning Dove 7
Snowy Owl 1 Fairly white bird on post 100-200 yards west of road behind salt pans. Obvious owl, easily size of horned owl. This is a late bird that is being reported daily.
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1 not seen
Blue Jay 5
American Crow 5
Purple Martin 8 Lot 1 colony. One female on nest.
Tree Swallow 75 Most over North Pool (NP).
Barn Swallow 5 around barns at sub-hq
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Marsh Wren 7 All heard or seen from the old blind (NP).
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
American Robin 8
Gray Catbird 19
Brown Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 0 none!
Northern Waterthrush 1
Prothonotary Warbler 1 Golden head contrasted to greenish back, gray wings, and white undertail coverts, plus the beady black eye with no head markings, all clearly seen, as this bird was foraging right beside the road just yards north of the Hellcat crossing. When I arrived it was being seen and photo'd by about 20 people. It looked bright enough to me to be a male, though I am not certain of this.
Common Yellowthroat 8
American Redstart 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 2
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 15
White-throated Sparrow 14
Savannah Sparrow 9
Song Sparrow 13
Swamp Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 22
Northern Cardinal 4
Bobolink 4
Orchard Oriole 1 Adult male singing in Hellcat parking lot.
Baltimore Oriole 3
Red-winged Blackbird 60
Brown-headed Cowbird 7
Common Grackle 45