Date: 5/6/18 8:10 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] [FR] Middletown Chim Swift Roost returns
It was appx a year ago that I chanced upon this Spring gathering
place. This evening I headed to the site just after 8 [2000] arriving
@2016 to find birds circling the chimney - same as used last year with
3 lightning rods protruding from the opening. It seemed to me that
birds did not enter the chimney until a few minutes after my arrival
then began to do so. Most of the activity was over with by 2025, but
I stayed until 2035 when a last straggler entered. Times will vary
with weather with earlier activity on overcast evenings.

The location of the chimney is just S of and adjacent to the Delauter
[sp] gas station & convenience store on MD 17, a few blocks S of the
intersection with ALT 40. There are two park benches outside the
store, which give great views of the activity. Delauter's is closed
on Sunday evenings and open thru the week until 2100. If you visit
when the store is closed on Sunday eve you might have to convince the
Sheriff that your intentions are honorable, but the property is not
gated.

If open, they have hand-dipped Hershey's Ice Cream, so, if you visit,
get a cone and enjoy the sights from the benches.

Don Hambright [sp] and I estimated 300 +/- birds at peak last year,
which might occur in a week to 10 days. Tonight I estimated 48 +/-.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter