Date: 5/6/18 7:54 pm
From: Henry Armknecht <armknecht...>
Subject: KOS Meeting in Dodge City
Dodge City was another great KOS meeting experience. You haven't lived
Kansas birding until you have attended a KOS spring meeting.

Big thank you to Jeff Calhoun for all of the time and work he put into
making sure everything possible was done to assure a great experience for
everyone,

All of the field trips were quite successful with many great observations of
interesting birds.

Many birders added life, state, and county birds. In addition, many were
able to observe the Red Phalarope at Quivira on the way to or from Dodge
City.

I include myself in the group who were able to see the phalarope - my first
life bird observed in Kansas since the Scott Lake Christmas Count in
December 2014 - First State Pacific Wren that Jeff Calhoun and I found - and
he was aware enough of the wren split to recognize and video the bird for
documentation.

Prior to that, it was a Bay-breasted Warbler at the 2011 spring KOS meeting
in Morton County.

Do you see a pattern? Get out for KOS events and Christmas counts and
expect to see some great birds and spend some time with great people.

Special thanks also go to Chuck Otte for maintaining the county observation
records and meeting total for KOS spring and fall meetings. We give him a
hard time about his insistence on data integrity by helping with standards
of time and place of observation for official inclusion in meeting results,
but this consistency of data increases the validity.

Henry A.
Hays

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to