Date: 5/6/18 6:46 pm
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Swainson's Warbler in Lamar (Prowers)
Today around 1pm I found a Swainson's Warbler in a windrow of trees adjacent to Riverside Cemetery in Lamar. This is only my second Swainson's Warbler for CO and the first one I have ever found. Exciting, to say the least.

Now the unexciting aspects of this episode. The windbreak where the bird was found is private. I occasionally bird this windbreak, have never really known who owns it, and have loosely thought it OK. That was probably a bit presumptuous on my part and now we have the dilemma of a bird being found that others want to see. When the word went out today people in numbers began showing up. What to do? At the suggestion of locals appropriately mindful of neighbor relations, I went to the owner's house (after being informed who it was by said locals) and the group was graciously granted one-time permission to pursue the target bird.

I should stress this was a one-time permission and I am asking that others honor the rights of this private landowner and not bird the windbreak. Another issue that came up today was that of a birder smoking in an area that is so dry simple mention of the word "smoke" seems dangerous. Call me paranoid but my tour of the recent big fire near Walsh is fresh in my mind.

Like everything else these days, birding is getting complicated. I am glad everybody still in town got to see the warbler, I am sorry some of the groups in Lamar who had to begin their long journeys home did not, and appreciate your consideration of my suggestions regarding future respect for the site and its owners.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

Sent from my iPhone