Date: 5/6/18 6:36 pm
From: Ron Stakland <rons...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Century Day in SE Iowa
The The Stakland’s and Burkhardts left Fairfield early this morning and headed down to the Croton unit of Shimek State Forest, not suspecting we were embarking on our first hundred-species day.
Highlights from Croton Unit included Blue Winged, Chestnut Sided, Black Throated Green, and Kentucky warblers, multiple Chat sightings, Summer Tanager, White Eyed and Warbling Vireos.
Farmington unit yielded Red Crossbills, thanks to Candace Havely.
Then it was on to Mount Sterling Marsh where we added, among others, Orchard Orioles, Wilson’s Phalaropes, Spotted and Semi-Palmated Sandpipers, Semi-Palmated Plover‘s, Red Eyed Vireos, Yellow Warblers and best of all, a Male Wilson‘s Warbler.
Lacey Keo contributed bathing Yellow Throat and Golden Winged Warbler and Northern Parula, all within 30 feet of where we were standing on the creek bank.
We finished the day back in Fairfield near sundown and notched our 100th species at the Evergreen Cemetery where a pair of great horned owl’s have been nesting and obliged us with our final memory of a fantastic day of birding here in Southeast Iowa.
Happy Birding to All.
Ron and Maricela Stakland
Todd and Joyce Burkhardt
Fairfield