Date: 5/6/18 5:50 pm
From: Tamima Itani <tamimaitani...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Best. Bird. Day. Ever.
Hello Jonathan,

I greatly enjoyed your email!

Last summer, I had all the turf removed from my backyard, and replaced it with all kinds of native plants and sedges. I made sure to leave a "Woods" type of area in the back of the yard, for the foragers. Within weeks, I had bees, butterflies (including Monarch caterpillars and butterflies) and birds enjoying the plant offerings, with the goldfinches particularly enjoying the Lavender Hyssop.

Today, after a week of intense birding in all kinds of places, I decided to stay home and catch up on my chores. Except that every time I looked out of the window, I had to stop, pull my binoculars and camera, because of new visitors! In suburban Evanston! I ended the day with:

- 3 catbirds
- 1 ovenbird
- 1 Nashville warbler
- 1 Blue-winged warbler (yesterday was my first sighting of one!)
- 1 Black-and-white warbler
- 1 Blackburnian warbler
- 1 Magnolia warbler
- 1 ruby-crowned kinglet
- 1 Blue-gray gnatcatcher
- 1 Baltimore Oriole
- 5 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
- 1 House Wren
- 1 White-crowned sparrow (there were 4 the other day)

These birds did not just pass through, they hung around. I saw them in the morning, throughout the day, and then again the same species in the evening.

Not to mention the Blue Jays, Cardinals, Goldfinches, House Finches, House Sparrows, Robins, Crow, Downy, Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers and White-breasted Nuthatch. And two chickadees nesting in a nest box on my patio (and very worried about the wren). With the 3 Grackle flyovers, that adds up to 25 species for the day!

I am now in the process of converting the entire front yard to native plants as well.

Wilmette and the Lake County Forest Preserve are having their respective native plant sales on Saturday May 12. The LCFP sale is fabulous, hundreds of native plants to chose from at Independence Grove. Wilmette's is great as well, just smaller in scale.

It all definitely pays off!

Tamima