Date: 5/6/18 5:12 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, Spring Bluff F.P., Illinois Beach North & Techny North Sunday 5-6-18
Hello Bird People,

Old Business

Yesterday Mike Trahan & I did the Spring Count at the area by Sand
Pond in Illinois Beach's North Unit. Our only highlights were 32
Forster's Terns resting on the beach rock wall & 1 WILLET was with
them. About 175 Red Breasted Mergansers were there too proving it's
not too late for them.
Then we went to St.Mary's Seminary for our next stop only to find the
place was closed to the public for a special event-end of count! Not a
very good day I'm afraid.

New Business

Did much better today with Bob Erickson with at all locations & Bill &
Annette McClellan with at the
Long Loop Trail at Illinois Beach North Unit. I'll just do highlights
as there were quite a few.

Waukegan Beach (7-8:45 a.m.)

We did the beach area & then the shrub area by the beach parking lot
where lots of Sparrows were.

In the backwater area were only Mallard (2), B.W. Teal (1-M) & Coot
(1) but flying by were 3
Great Egrets & 1 AMERICAN BITTERN.
On the beach we saw Common & Caspian Terns & 3 Bonaparte's Gulls were
in the lake.
Shorebirds on the pier were PIPING PLOVER, Dunlin (1), Least
Sandpipers (2) & several Spotted Sandpipers. Flying with the Barn
Swallows were my FOY Bank Swallows.
Had an Ovenbird & a Black & White Warbler with 4 CLAY COLORED SPARROWS
by the shrubs.

Spring Bluff F.P. (9:15-9:45 a.m.)

Bob got a call from Andy Stewart to say Beau S had found a SNOWY EGRET
here but we didn't know exactly where? Walked the old road all the way
to the end by Skipper Bud's & there was the Egret which we could have
driven right up to had we known. But the McClellan's arrived (by car)
& they gave a ride back. Thanks go to Andy & Beau as Snowy Egret is a
good Lake County bird.
Thanks to the McClellan's for the ride.

Illinois Beach North Unit Long Loop Trail (9:45-11:45 a.m.)

Saw a Green Heron & flycatchers were Least & Great Crested. Thrushes
were Swainson's & one Gray Cheeked. A Carolina Wren was singing by the
old ranger's house. Two SCARLET TANAGERS
& one Rose Breasted Grosbeak were where the trial crosses the creek.
(Saw Jim Solum for the 1st time in years. Used to see him often while
birding in the 1980's & 90's.)
Warblers were BLUE WINGED, Tennessee, Nashville, Orange Crowned,
NORTHERN PARULA, Yellow, Magnolia,
Y.R. Myrtles. Palms, Black Throated Green, Black & White, Redstart,
Northern Waterthrush &
Common Yellwthroat. That's 14 Warbler species plus Ovenbird at
Waukegan for 15 for the day.

Techny North (2-3 p.m.)

Here I was joined by birder Mike & we saw D.C.Cormorant, Black Crowned
Night Heron (1-AD),
Mallards, B.W. Teal & G.W. Teal. Shorebirds were Killdeer (4),
Semipalmated Plover (2),
Lesser Yellowlegs (12), Solitary (9), Spotted (8), Least (3),
Semipalmeted (2) Sandpipers & last, but not least, LONG BILLED
DOWITCHER (2). I've seen more Spring Long Billed Dowitchers this year
then ever before.

Bird-Of-The-Day to Beau's Snowy Egret & Runners-Up to the Piping
Plover, the American Bittern & the Long Billed Dowitchers.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the 2 male Scarlet Tanagers. Now that's fancy!

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: