Date: 5/6/18 3:55 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Johnson/Miami County Week Recap
What a difference a week makes! Around work I was able to squeeze in a
morning scouting walks on Tuesday for Thursday's Burrough's morning walk at
Shannon Valley Park, an evening walk at Tomahawk Park on Wednesday, and a
stroll at Indian Creek Trail and Overland Park Arboretum Saturday morning.
Each location had a different mixture of migrants. Overall Vireos (3
Blue-Headed and a Philadelphia), Thrushes (maybe 100+ Swainson's and a
Gray-Cheeked), and Warblers (21 species) were quite numerous this week. The
Arboretum had the greatest diversity.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45295757

Today I scouted around Hillsdale Lake for Thursday's Burrough's Trip to
Miami County. I hope some of the birds remain, as I had 115 species even
though I didn't start until after 10 am when my parents headed back north.
A spring Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Veery and Gray Cheeked Thrushes, and
Warblers were numerous at Brown Wetlands.Through the Hillsdale Outlet park
trails I flushed an American Bittern and heard a Chat, but could not find
any rails. Listening to all three thrushes Sing was amazing. This was the
first time I have heard the Veery singing and only the second time hearing
Gray-Cheeked sing in Kansas.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45365008
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45375674

I hope everyone is enjoying time outside with the migrants. Burrough's
Audubon has 4 field trips this week and a 5th planned for this weekend.
Remember that everyone is invited to the trips.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/

If you are around the KC area or have participated in the Burrough's trips
in the past, please take a short survey to provide your opinions for future
field trips.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/field-trip-survey/

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold