Date: 5/6/18 2:40 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fwd: [FR] Help w/ Bird ID please...LIKE NOTHING I'VE EVER SEEN...Day 3 adding a few NEW PICS
Likely the last pics unless something arises that seems to point to a
clincher in the evidentiary area. I limit myself to one photo session
per day as it means intruding my physical presence in close proximity
to the feeding station. In the 15' I was outside today, the bird was
unwilling to come to the suet although it did fly back & forth between
the two bordering evergreens several times.

In my initial report I included my observation notes where I indicated
what appeared to be yellow/orange in the primary/wing edges. At times
since it seemed ivory was a more apt description, but I got a great
look thru 10x bins yesterday and it seemed that brownish/reddish was
the best descriptor. Of course, red undertail coverts are definitely
present, so red would seem to be available in the genetic color
palette for other feathers. That's hinted at in the middle photo in
this series

Coincidentally, & I think that's all it is, at a time when I was
inside I had an adult Catbird near the feeder that had one white wing
feather as well as two or more white tail feathers - not seen before &
not seen again so far today.

Earlier this season, I had reported on a White-throated Grackle having
a go at the suet...do do do do/do do do do...but if I got a pic of it,
it was poor quality.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County