Date: 5/6/18 2:14 pm
From: anhinga3 <anhinga3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC Birding PRNWR by Bike and Beyond, 05/05/28
Hi MassBirders,
Yesterday, Mark Burns and I led our BBC Birding by Bike trip at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. Below is my eBird list for that part of the trip. We continued birding casually off refuge into the afternoon. Our total number of birds recorded for the day is 98!
Refuge Road, Newbury, Massachusetts, US May 05, 2018, 6:25 AM
Traveling, 11.51 miles, 396 minutes
Comments: Parker River National Wildlife Refuge on Bike. This is one of my favorite trips to lead for the BBC. We birded our way from Parking Lot #1 to Hellcat. Temps ranged from 58-to-74°F, windy with gusts up to 25mph, mostly clear sky.

33 Canada Goose
2 Mute Swan
22 Mallard
15 American Black Duck
2 Green-winged Teal
1 Wild Turkey
5 Double-crested Cormorant
2 Great Blue Heron
14 Great Egret
1 Tricolored Heron -- Seen south of Pannes, not too far from the road.
1 Green Heron -- Flew overhead at the S Curves and then landed in a tree.
6 Turkey Vulture
7 Osprey
3 Northern Harrier
1 Bald Eagle -- Immature bird flew overhead.
1 Sora -- Heard a brief call from the marsh at the Hellcat Observation Blind.
3 Killdeer
21 Least Sandpiper -- A flock flew over the Pannes.
1 Solitary Sandpiper -- Seen feeding at the south end of the Pannes.
12 Greater Yellowlegs - T7
23 Willet
X Herring Gull
2 Great Black-backed Gull
4 Common Tern
3 Mourning Dove
1 Belted Kingfisher -- One bird hovering just south of The Wardens.
2 Downy Woodpecker
3 Northern Flicker
1 Merlin
1 Blue-headed Vireo
3 Blue Jay
17 American Crow
3 Northern Rough-winged Swallow -- Birds seen at The Wardens.
12 Purple Martin
35 Tree Swallow
7 Barn Swallow
4 Black-capped Chickadee
1 House Wren -- One bird singing along the road at Hellcat.
15 Marsh Wren
4 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 Golden-crowned Kinglet - CC -- One bird heard along Hellcat board walk.
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 Veery -- Seen along board walk at Hellcat.
2 Swainson's Thrush -- Seen along board walk at Hellcat.
2 Hermit Thrush
9 American Robin - PO
33 Gray Catbird
8 Brown Thrasher
3 Northern Mockingbird
2 European Starling
2 Ovenbird
27 Northern Waterthrush -- Birding by bike you hear more than you would by car. Waterthrush were everywhere.
22 Black-and-white Warbler
11 Common Yellowthroat
3 American Redstart
15 Northern Parula
4 Magnolia Warbler
7 Yellow Warbler
3 Chestnut-sided Warbler
15 Black-throated Blue Warbler
6 Palm Warbler
32 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Prairie Warbler -- Heard and seen in the thicket across from and north of the Pannes.
4 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 Seaside Sparrow -- Seen between Parking Lot 1 and 2, in the marsh and a hollow to get out of the wind.
20 Chipping Sparrow
5 Field Sparrow
1 Dark-eyed Junco -- One seen along the refuge road.
7 White-crowned Sparrow -- One seen at Parking Lot #1, others seen along the refuge road.
227 White-throated Sparrow -- WTSP were everywhere!
8 Savannah Sparrow
8 Song Sparrow
25 Swamp Sparrow
14 Eastern Towhee
3 Northern Cardinal
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Indigo Bunting -- One seen along refuge road.
3 Bobolink
3 Baltimore Oriole
X Red-winged Blackbird
6 Brown-headed Cowbird
15 Common Grackle
7 Purple Finch
10 American Goldfinch
2 House Sparrow
Number of Taxa: 85
Plum Island, Ocean- side: Long-tailed duck Common loon Horned grebe Red-breasted merganser Common eider Sanderling
Scotland Road: Pectoral sandpiper Glossy ibis Tufted titmouseRock dove
Pikes Bridge Road: Wood duck Eastern kingbird Warbling viero
It was a great day of birding with a few old friends and new!
Happy Maygration!
Laura de la Flor Salem, MA