Date: 5/6/18 1:55 pm
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Hudson Mills field trip report: Few migrants but plenty of special summer residents
Today's WAS field trip to Hudson Mills Metropark yielded few migrating
birds but plenty of special summer residents. A LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH burst
into song on the opposite shore of the Huron River; Norka recorded his song
and uploaded it to this trip's eBird checklist
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45373909>. Nearby a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER
not only sang but took a bath for all of us to see on the Hudson Mills side
of the river's shoreline; see snapshots
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45373909> taken by Norka S, Dan F, and
Len S also on eBird. We saw a whopping four BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS, and both
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45373909> song and images are available
on eBird. All had great looks at Indigo Bunting, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern
Bluebird, and Yellow-throated vireo.

Thanks to Dave M, Jim L, and Faye S for carrying my scope from time to
time, to Norka S for compiling the checklist, to Juliet B for answering the
hard questions the leader passed onto her, and to all birders for helping
their fellow birders find birds darting to, fro, hither, and yon.

Below is a complete list of birds seen or heard by the group. It's a long
list, totaling 65 species, and few birders in the group got them all.

Thanks to our hard-working birders group, and let's do this again in fall!

Hudson Mills Metropark, Washtenaw, Michigan, US
May 6, 2018 7:49 AM - 12:19 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5 miles
65 species

Canada Goose 4
Mallard 3
Wild Turkey 2 Heard only ... gobble gobble gobble!
Double-crested Cormorant 7
Great Blue Heron 2
Green Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Sandhill Crane 3
Killdeer 4

Mourning Dove 5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 Heard only.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 5
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 1 Heard only.
Eastern Kingbird 2

Yellow-throated Vireo 5
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1 Heard only.
Blue Jay 13
American Crow 10
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 12
Tufted Titmouse 14
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) 6

House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Eastern Bluebird 6
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1
Wood Thrush 1 Heard only.
American Robin 19
Gray Catbird 7
Brown Thrasher 5
European Starling 1

Louisiana Waterthrush 1 Heard only.
Northern Waterthrush 1 Heard only.
Blue-winged Warbler 4
Prothonotary Warbler 1 Known breeding location.
Nashville Warbler 3
Common Yellowthroat 3
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 4