Date: 5/6/18 1:18 pm
From: Alfred Maley <alfredmaley...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Seven Barred Owl Nests; Stopping Bird Strikes on Our Windows
Although the results are not definitive, it looks like there are seven
Barred Owl nests “on the go” in my nest boxes here in Hampstead.
Unfortunately, the pair that has nested in the yard for the last two years
has moved down the street to an empty box because gray squirrels filled the
yard box with sticks while we were having a nice winter in Spain. Now it’s
holy war on gray squirrels.

On another note, we’ve been plagued in the past by newly arrived migrants
flying into our living room windows to their great sorrow. The windows
reflect the morning sun and form the appearance of more forest. I
discovered “Bird Savers” (www.birdsavers.com) who sell a simple product but
who also tell you how to make your own. I had bought the materials but
hadn’t got around to making them until Saturday morning, when I found a
recently dead Parula Warbler lying below the window. I’ve now made five of
these things, which consist merely of dark strings hanging about four
inches apart in front of each window. They look pretty good and their
gentle movement in the breeze reminds me of wind chimes without the
annoying noise. We’ll see how effective they are, but by all accounts, they
are.

Our windows must be magnets. This afternoon I looked out the front storm
door to see an Indigo Bunting hovering in front of it. I have no idea, but
he was beautiful to see so up close and personal.

Al Maley
Hampstead