Date: 5/6/18 11:36 am
From: Jenn Rader <jennrader34...>
Subject: Galena area, May 6, 2018
A lovely afternoon to you all, birders.

I enjoyed some nice birding in my back yard this morning. A few highlights:
Chimney Swifts, Eastern Wood-pewee, Philadelphia Vireo (nice looks),
Warbling Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Bewick's Wren, Swainson's Thrush,
Black-and-White Warbler, Nashville Warbler, American Redstart, Yellow
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Lincoln's Sparrow and
Baltimore Oriole. Along with the usual suspects.

I watched some interesting Ruby-throated Hummingbird behavior, too. I've
got two males coming to my feeder at the house, and one in particular has
taken issue with a Lincoln's Sparrow that's been hanging out on the back
deck and the oak tree next to it. If the sparrow landed near the hummer's
perch, or got too close to any feeders, the hummer would chase it out of
the yard. This happened several times, and the hummer never took issue with
any goldfinches, or other birds near it like it did this Lincoln's Sparrow.

After I got into work this afternoon at the Southeast Kansas Nature Center,
two Black Vultures were flying above Schermerhorn Park.

It's been a wonderful weekend to bird watch!

Jenn Rader
Galena, KS Cherokee County

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to