Date: 5/6/18 11:21 am
From: Antonio, Robert J. <anto...>
Subject: Burcham Sunday
It was a beautiful morning along the Kaw. The most newsworthy seemed to me is exodus of Yellow-rumped Warblers. They are still around but I did not hear much of their song or see many. They were so numerous prior I have not really been trying to count for the last week or more. Peter Grund and Jon King were out and might have noticed more. There were some birds I could not identify in the upper-story of the sycamores. I listed 63 species today.

Scarlet Tanager - 1FOS singing on NW side of the park near the RR tracks

I was stumped by one bird on the soggy wood edge just north of south bridge. The bird was twenty feet away just below eye-level It was a warbler with really bright, ample white wing bars on grayish wings (that stood out most), dark-eyeline &lighter above, (did not see the back & nape well), tinge of very light yellow wash upperparts of breast, possibly on throat, whitish below no breast stripes not even faint ones that I noticed on breast or sides that I could see.

Warblers
Yellow-rumped - ~ 10
Yellow - 58 mostly singers
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler 2 singing
Black & White - 2 singing
Blackpoll - 1 singing
Northern Waterthrush - 3 singing
Nashville - 1
Northern Parula - 1
Prothonotary 1 singing below south bridge
Ovenbird - 1 singing (woods south of road below KU Boathouse)
Chestnut-sided - 1 woods NE of north stream
Golden-winged - 2 1 singing north of just above north stream near the Kaw (think Jon King heard or saw the same bird); a second was singing near RR Tracks in Cottonwoods west of the path north of south bridge

Blue-headed Vireo - 2 singing
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1 singing
Warbling Vireo - 18 singers
Red-eyed Vireo - 15 singers

Spotted Sandpiper - 3 flight calls
Least Flycatcher - 3 calling
Great-crested Flycatcher - 9 blasting songs & notes
Plieated WP - 1 calling nor side of park
Indigo Bunting - 7 - males are now singing hard on territories
Wood Thrush - 1 singing in woods west of KU boathouse
Swainson's Thrush - 16 song & lots of notes

White-crowned Sparrow - 1
Lincoln's Sparrow - 2 1 singing
White-throated Sparrow 5+ no songs
Song Sparrow - 1