Date: 5/6/18 10:49 am
From: <editor...>
Subject: Semi-palmated plover, new county record for Washington County
My son Noah and I went to the seasonal wetlands northeast of Linn this morning (it’s a flooded field). Shorebirds were in abundance. Following are the highlights:

Semi-palmated Plover (2) - this is a new county record
White-faced Ibis (9) - they flew off but I later relocated 10 of them at the Linn Lagoons, which is due west of this wetlands area.
Hudsonian Godwit (several)
Marbled Godwit (2)
Willet (1)
Stilt sandpiper
Least sandpiper
Spotted sandpiper
White-rumped sandpiper
Semi-palmated sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher (plentiful)
Wilson’s Phalarope (everywhere)
American Golden Plover
Swainson’s Hawk (1)

Bobolink - (1 singing) at the Linn Lagoons

I was not able to relocate yesterday’s Black-necked Stilt.

I do love this area for shorebirds, because the pool is adjacent to a gravel road so I can get close looks at almost everything. And if the fields aren’t flooded, there are plentiful shorebirds at the Linn Lagoons, which is even easier to bird.

—Dan

Dan Thalmann
Owner/publisher/sales - Washington County News, Washington, Kansas
Owner/publisher/sales - Linn-Palmer Record, Linn, Kansas
785-325-2219 (w)
785-747-6980 (cell, feel free to text me)
<editor...>
backroadsnews.com

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to