Date: 5/6/18 4:34 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Parker River NWR Newbury, MA May 05, 2018 Birding Bonanza!, Tri-Colored Heron, Indigo Bunting, Northern Waterthrush, Blackburnian,, Prairie, Tons of other warblers

From: "Matt S. " <accipiter22...>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 22:42:09 -0400
Subject: Parker River NWR Newbury, MA May 05, 2018 Birding Bonanza!
Tri-Colored Heron, Indigo Bunting, Northern Waterthrush, Blackburnian,
Prairie, Tons of other warblers

I was there at high tide, which probably prevented me from seeing some of
the waders, but overall what a great day! Flotillas of ducks, a
tri-colored heron, the most cooperative blackburnian ever. A male indigo
was around as well, in that long stretch between lots after the 2nd or 3rd
one. That's where the Prarie & blackburnian were as well. Lots of
kestrels and a few merlins as well. The tri-color was super cooperative,
loved seeing one so close.

Updating an album with pictures as I edit them. Album includes best shot
I've ever gotten of a blackburnian.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39445433@N02/albums/72157696489778445

That's all for now.

Matt Sabourin
Accipiter22(@)gmail.com
Brighton, MA

-----
Parker River NWR, Essex, Massachusetts, US
May 5, 2018 10:26 AM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
17.07 mile(s)
80 species (+3 other taxa)

Brant (Branta bernicla) 15
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) 2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 4
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 2
Common Eider (Somateria mollissima) 5
Common Eider (Dresser's) (Somateria mollissima dresseri) 2
Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) 1
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta fusca) 21 A whole flotilla. Multiple
reports throughout day. Seen from first lot beach
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) 5
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 3
Ruddy Duck (Ruddy) (Oxyura jamaicensis jamaicensis/andina) 1 I have a
blurry picture, trying to find.
Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 11
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 8
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) 5
Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor) 1 Picture's coming. Seen by dozens
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 2
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 2
Willet (Tringa semipalmata) 3
Willet (Eastern) (Tringa semipalmata semipalmata) 1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 7
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 7
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 9
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 1
Merlin (Falco columbarius) 2
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 1 Heard Only
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Common Raven (Corvus corax) 2
Purple Martin (Progne subis) 10
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 20
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 5
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 5
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 9
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 5
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 25
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 2
Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) 2
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 19
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 17
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 1
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 3
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) 1
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca) 1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 5
Yellow Warbler (Northern) (Setophaga petechia [aestiva Group]) 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) 3
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 2
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 9
Prairie Warbler (Setophaga discolor) 1
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) 2
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 6
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 2
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 45 My goodness, they
were everywhere
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 14
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 18
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 1
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) 2
Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) 1 Seen VERY briefly, wish I could
have gotten some pictures of him.
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 37
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 23
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 4
Purple Finch (Eastern) (Haemorhous purpureus purpureus) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 8
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 4

Join us on Facebook!