Date: 5/6/18 4:04 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Wood County Big Day--90 species
As part of eBird's Global Big Day yesterday, May 5, I did a Big Day solely
within Wood County. Starting at Mountwood Park at 4:55 am and ending at
Point Park at 6:10 pm, I was surprised at my final total of 90 species; I
had expected 75.

I spent 4 hours at McDonough Wildlife Park in Vienna, and that's where most
of the warblers, vireos, thrushes, and other Neotropical migrants were seen.

Here's the list:

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Wild Turkey--1 gobbling at McDonough Wildlife Park
Great Blue Heron--Mountwood Park
Great Egret--3 at Sandy Creek backwater
Green Heron--McDonough
Turkey Vulture
Osprey--1 at Northwest Drive and 1 at Belleville Lock and Dam
Red--tailed Hawk--Washington Works Nature Trails
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper--1 at McDonough
Solitary Sandpiper--2 at Sandy Creek backwater
Herring Gull--1 at Belleville wetlands
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Eastern Whip-poor-will--1 at Mountwood Park past the Administration
Building and 3 along Borland Springs Road
Ruby-throated Hummingbird--1 building a nest at McDonough
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher--Mountwood Park
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Empidonax Flycatcher--1 silent bird at Belleville wetlands
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Great Crested Flycatcher--Mountwood Park
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow--2 at Belleville wetlands
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow--10 gathering mud at the Williamstown boat ramp for nests on
the bridge from Williamstown to Marietta, OH and 23 at the Belleville
wetlands
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Veery--McDonough
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Ovenbird
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Tennesee Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler--McDonough
Chestnut-sided Warbler--1 at Washington Works Nature Trails
Cerulean Warbler--1 at McDonough
American Redstart--Washington Works
Bay-breasted Warbler--3 at McDonough
Common Yellowthroat--Washington Works
Yellow-throated Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow--1 at Belleville wetlands
White-throated Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Summer Tanager--Mountwood Park at Visitor Center
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Orchard Oriole--Northwest Drive
Baltimore Oriole
Bobolink--2 at Northwest Drive
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark--Northwest Drive. I also found a barely fledged baby
bird floundering in the grass near the old lockhouse that was dark above
with yellow undertail coverts that was probably this species.
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch
House Finch