Date: 5/5/18 10:06 pm
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Ash-throated Flycatcher at Quivira / 5 May
I birded with some Colorado buddies at Cheyenne Bottoms yesterday afternoon,
4 May, and we birded Quivira and Stafford County today, 5 May.

Most unexpected bird was probably an Ash-throated Flycatcher seen on 5 May
due east of the Quivira NWR Visitor Center on the Reno/Stafford line. This
bird was studied and photographed at length with details to follow. (I
doubt if this bird is chaseable, but if you try for it drive carefully. Not
a passenger-car friendly road.) There is at least one other Ash-throated
Flycatcher record for Stafford, one I found and photographed a few years ago
west of the Big Salt Marsh.

Another rarity on 5 May was a Brewer's Sparrow seen among a flock of other
spizellas in SE Stafford County by John Vanderpoel.

The five of us had a pretty wild tour of both refuges and wound up with 170+
species.

Birds seen at Quivira on 5 May included: Am. Golden Plover, Hudsonian and
Marbled Godwits, Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Short-billed Dowitcher, Red
Phalarope (stakeout), Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireo, Nashville Warbler.

Early on Saturday, 5 May, I saw three Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks flying
over the sandpit on East K-19 to the SE of Larned.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to